THE SOCIAL GOSPEL
Luke 4: 16-21 & Luke 10:25-37
During the year we have highlighted many social Gospel issues in which the Uniting Church around Australia has had involvement.
Remote area ministry, Coal Seam Gas extraction, child slavery, environmental issues, food security and refugee advocacy.
This last issue has been a big focus for us here this year and last year as it has been for the UCA and many other churches and organisations.
But this is not new. We think of those who have escaped persecution and war or who have simply sought a better life and have come to these shores for more than 200 years.
Today we are honoured to have Dennis Koks talk about his experience as a refugee from South Africa – a number of decades ago and maybe his understanding of Christ’s walk with him in his story.
- What should the churches’ response be?
- How has your experience shaped your faith?
- How hard is it to tell someone else about your faith story?
During the year, we had several people tell about their faith journey through describing their experiences – Ruth and Alan and Rev. John Brentnall to name but a few.
Maybe it is easier to do in church than outside the church. Maybe it is easier to share with believers than those without belief. Yet sometimes, even in secular settings, we can be surprised by someone bold enough to share their story.
Stephen Colbert & Oprah Winfrey Share Favourite Bible verses
Why not share your story with someone this week or better still invite someone to come to church during Advent.
Jesus, when he told his stories, told them to followers and non-followers alike.
What are some of the stories that Jesus told that resonate with you. For example:
- parable of the good Samaritan
- parable of the Mustard Seed
- Parable of the four soils
- The story of the lost coin, son and sheep
- the persistent widow
- the servants in charge of money for their master
- the ungrateful debtor
- the ‘woe’ story
- the virgins waiting for the groom with oil lamps lit
- the shrewd manager
- the rich man and the beggar.
What is your favourite story?
- What happens in the story?
- What it means?
- Why they like it?